The first update on my FB page at 7:00 am today morning was ” It will be a hot day in Doha, expected to be 109 F”.
My thoughts immediately raced towards thousands of outdoor workers at their respective worksites enduring the relentless summer heat and scorching sun.
A quick google search, showed serious statistics globally:
• It has been estimated that outdoor workers receive five to 10 times more ultraviolet (UV) exposure per year
Read more at http://www.cancercouncil.com.au/1427/cancer-prevention/sun-protection/local-government-workplace/resources-for-local-government/skin-cancer-outdoor-workers/#lHeyTLGUGSRBy0wx.99
• It is estimated malignant melanoma kills nearly 50 people each year in the UK because of exposure to solar radiation at work. ( According to a research Commissioned by the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH), in UK. Read : http://www.iosh.co.uk/News/New-research-reveals-scale-of-skin-cancer-among-outdoor-workers-and-lack-of-awareness-about-risks.aspx/
• Sun exposure is the cause of about 99% of non melanoma skin cancers and 95% of melanoma in Australia. The workplace is a major source of exposure for many adult Australians. It is not surprising that outdoor workers who are required to spend long periods of time working in the sun, year after year, have a higher than average risk of skin cancer. Read :www.cancer.org.au/content/pdf/PreventingCancer/BeSunsmart/Skincanceroutdoorworkbooklet.pdf
With summers and heat peaking between June- August in Qatar, many outdoor workers are exposed to the UV exposure and its harmful effects. Working out in the summer also increases the risk of heat stress if control measures are not in place.
The key control measures that can reduce workers’ risk of both heat illness and exposure to solar UVR include:
• Engineering controls: Provision of shade for outdoor work. Rest breaks in cooler, shaded or indoor areas.
• Personal protective equipment and clothing: Provision of loose fitting, lightweight clothing for air movement and sun protection.Cooling garments and accessories.
• Administrative controls :Changes to work schedules that allow heavy work to occur during cooler times of the day. The use of more people and rotation of workers .
Our company JMS provides heat stress management cooling garments and accessories for employers and individuals in Qatar and have most recently introduced the sun protection clothing including UPF 50+ UV Protection Arm Sleeves & SGS certified UPF 50 + face mask. We also have ranger caps and sun protection caps and cooling accessories offering protection against heat stress.
If you are looking for sun protection and heat stress management solutions in Qatar, we are there to help.